If you’re looking for a sewing machine perfect to use on fabric and textiles for your costumes, or just a general sewing machine that is a little more durable than your standard household model, this article should help guide you toward the right choice. We’ll take a look at different models to make sure you can find the best sewing machine for costume making available.
It’s important to point out here that not every model of the sewing machine will be suitable for making costumes – some models are better suited to quilting and other stitching tasks. When selecting a new machine, it’s necessary to consider whether or not it can accommodate thicker fabrics and heavier-duty stitching requirements.
Considerations While Buying Best Sewing Machine For Costume Making:
If you want to buy a sewing machine for your costume making needs, here are a few things you should keep in mind:
1) Needle type: the types of materials you will be sewing and how thick they are can have an effect on what needle is best for your machine. Thicker fabrics need bigger needles, so if you sew a lot of thicker material, then invest in one that has larger-sized needles. If the needle size isn’t mentioned in the description, check with customer service about which needle would be best for your project.
2) Price: higher-end machines typically have more features and offer better quality stitching. But, if you’re just starting out and aren’t sewing a lot, and can live with a cheaper machine, then save your money and buy the cheaper one.
3) Motor speed: some machines have more powerful motors than others. If you’re planning on doing a lot of sewing, then invest in a model that has a faster motor. This way, you will be able to sew quicker. Be aware that motor speed also depends on the thickness of the fabric you are stitching, so take that into account as well when making this decision.
4) Automatic threading: some machines have this feature, where a spring-loaded threader automatically feeds your thread for you. This saves a lot of time and frustration and is perfect for those who are not very good at threading the needle manually.
5) Computerized needles: these needles automatically keep your fabric straight while you’re sewing. They are designed in such a way that they can use infrared guidance to perfectly sew along with any line in the fabric. This makes sewing easier and more accurate.
So while buying the best sewing machine for costume making you should keep these considerations in mind to make a wise decision. Let’s get into the product list to filter the best out of the rest.
Top 10 Best Sewing Machine for Costume Making in 2023
1. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine-CS6000i
The CS6000i is one of two models in Brother’s recent range of home sewing machines that feature exclusively electronic components for maximum ease of use and automatic threading with guides built into every needle plate to make threading quick and easy.
It also has an improved LCD touch screen display with a resolution twice as high as before, which helps you sew faster and see your stitch progress on screen without getting in your way. You’ll even be able to view your fabric section by section, right to the edge of your fabric, for perfect accuracy.
- The CS6000i also features an easy-operating Automatic Stitch Selection system that makes it simple to choose the correct stitch type you need for the task at hand.
- The system will even teach you how to use every stitch included with the machine. The machine also has a special “stitch correction” function that can be accessed easily from many different modes including Free Motion.
- If you enjoy free-motion stitching this machine will let you do more than simply use the needle to direct the fabric as you normally would on a home machine.
- You can use the presser foot as a guide for creating decorative stitches and even use the feed dogs to pull the fabric through in an up-and-down motion if desired.
- The CS6000i has 60 built-in stitches including quilting, stretch, heirloom, and buttonhole stitches, all of which are displayed on the screen using large symbols. The Automatic Stitch Selection system makes selecting stitch numbers easier than ever before.
- Multiple Built-in stitches.
- LCD display
- Large Table
- Drop In Top Bobbin
- Reasonable Price
- No warranty Outside USA
2. Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine, Lightweight
The Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine is a lightweight, full-featured 27-stitch sewing machine with 6 included feet. This portable machine will make your projects easier to manage on the go. It’s perfect for travel, personalized crafts, and more!
An easy-to-create table or surface that can support up to 50 lbs of weight 27 built-in stitches include basic straight stitch, zigzag stitch, decorative stitch, buttonhole stitch, and blind hemmer needle threader. 3 presser feet for common tasks include zipper foot, walking foot, and free arm sewing foot.
- The machine weighs just 10 pounds, so you can spend less time packing it up and more time sewing. The included case helps you protect the machine when on the go. A built-in carrying handle makes it easy to move the XM2701 from room to room.
- The Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine has 25 built-in stitches to get you started. The stitches are worked with the easy-to-reach dial controls.
- Each stitch can be customized to your preferences. You can even create your own stitch patterns! This machine is fully programmable so that you can use it however you want.
- The maximum stitch width is 4 mm and the maximum stitch length is 5 mm for projects like quilting or general sewing projects.
- A pre-set sewing mode allows the XM2701 to sew straight lines for quick, simple sewing tasks like hemming curtains or repairing pillows.
- 27 built-in stitches
- Metal body construction
- Jam Resistant
- Drop In Top Bobbin
- Reverse Stitching not supported
3. SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine
For all the sewing enthusiasts, this is one gadget you will want to have. The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine with 600-Stitches, Electronic Auto Pilot Mode, Extension Table and Bonus Accessories, Perfect for Customizing Projects is a complete package in which you’ll never run out of projects to sew.
This fully functional machine comes with the power to automatically set your needle thread tension for maximum performance and ease of use. It also has an electronic autopilot mode that walks you through each step of sewing like a pro in no time.
Checkout our latest article: Top 10 Best Sewing Machine for Wigs in 2023 – Buyer’s Guide
- Performance-enhancing features that are included in this Singer Portable Sewing Machine are designated stitches, stitch width selection, buttonhole feature, multiple power options and more.
- To put it simply, this is a machine that will give you the kind of confidence you need to create any project you have in mind.
- The Quantum Stylist has some sustainable manufacturing processes to keep it effective for many years to come.
- The machine’s plastic is made of “recycled PET” materials making it good for the environment. All of its parts are recyclable including the bobbin that has no metal parts at all. It also has a clear top cover.
- Multiple built-in Stitches
- Fonts Included
- Automatic Needle Threader
- 13 one step buttonhole style
- Plastic Body
4. SINGER Start 1304 6 Built-in Stitches
Unless you are an expert who appreciates perfect stitching, you probably want a machine that is easy to use and makes sewing easy. Enter the Singer Start 1304 6 sewing machine which has capabilities for everything from basic sewing projects to fine finishing tasks.
Do-it-yourselfers will appreciate this budget-friendly option that comes with flaws but provides just what most beginning sewers need. While it is bulky, it has a powerful motor that can handle tough fabrics without breaking them down. The built-in stitches include over 10 different decorative styles. It also features free-arm capabilities with reverse stitching so you can easily undo any mistakes before redoing your project again with no hassle whatsoever.
- The machine is easy to use, which is a good thing since many beginners can’t figure out how to thread a machine. It has a host of features that beginners won’t need but will appreciate.
- The reverse stitch button allows you to do this in a flash and it is one of the most helpful features on the machine.
- One of the main reasons to purchase this machine for yourself or other family members is that it provides an economic value.
- For people who don’t necessarily want to spend thousands on other machines but also don’t want to put up with basic sewing tasks, this could make the perfect option.
- It has over 10 different stitches to choose from. You can do decorative stitching on your clothes or make basic seams to secure your pants together. It really doesn’t matter what you are doing because the machine can handle it easily.
- Easy to use and simple
- Above 50 Built-in Stitches
- Accessories Included
- Automatic bobbin Winding
- Very reasonable Price
- Not the best option for experts
5. SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 Sewing Machine
For a machine that is just a little bit heavier than your average household sewing machine, the Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machine With Included Accessory Kit makes up for its weight in performance.
This rugged system can sew through hard fabrics with ease and do so without the struggle of other machines. Additionally, from thread selection to automatic needle threader and stitch selection settings, you can easily get started with this heavy-duty sewing machine.
- This machine easily has 69 different settings and per application, whether you want to sew through a thick cloth or light material is easily done with the right settings.
- Additionally, for those who are just learning how to sew or those who have been doing it for years, the automatic needle threader makes it easy for you to get started sewing as soon as possible.
- The Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machine With Included Accessory Kit has a footprint that is not too big but still incorporates the 10mm thick steel construction for stability and durability during use.
- This machine weighs just under 16 lbs. making it easy to move around and if necessary, you can easily take it with you if you need to be mobile with your sewing.
- Heavy duty
- Multiple stitches
- Easy to use for beginners also
- Uneven Bobbin filling if filled with paced
6. Brother CS5055PRW Sewing Machine
The Brother CS5055PRW sewing machine is a stunning all-in-one Machine. Just looking at it, you can tell this machine is worth its weight in gold. With 50 built-in stitches, an automatic needle threader, 7 included feet, 100 stitch functions for everything from fashion to quilting or even more complicated projects like leather or lacework.
This sewing machine is perfect for beginners and experts alike with easy-to-use features that will increase your skill level every day. You will be creating 4-tiered ruffles and pleats and then effortlessly move on to more complicated patterns like buttonholes and appliques.
- Users rave about the Brother CS5055PRW sewing machine’s performance and simplicity, saying it makes sewing easy and stress-free.
- The CS5055PRW comes with tons of extras that should include everything you need to start sewing right out of the box. That means the machine is already pre-threaded.
- The Brother CS5055PRW is easy to use, user-friendly for beginners, and fantastic in quality, says one satisfied customer.
- The Brother CS5055PRW comes with an automatic needle threader, which is a great feature for its price point by itself.
- This machine is not only simple to use, but it is also affordable. It comes with a 90-day limited warranty and 1-year free service, but it also comes with an extra 4-year extended warranty for only $69.
- LCD display
- Multiple Builtin Stitches
- Pre threaded
- Easy To Use
- Manual Tension setting
7. SINGER 7258 100-Stitch Computerized 76 Stitches Sewing Machine
Singer’s computerized sewing machine is easy to use and sew from simple garments like costumes to even the most complex projects, such as quilts and home décor, then you’ll want to read this. The Singer Computerized Sewing Machine comes in two sizes of zig-zag feet, a zipper foot, a buttonhole foot, and 5 other presser feet.
Additional accessories include a worldwide voltage power cord, a hardcover that fits the machine and accessories, an accessory storage box, an instructional DVD, and an included accessory kit.
Checkout our latest article: Top 10 Best Sewing Machine for Making Doll Clothes
- The computerized sewing machine version of this sewing machine features 205 built-in stitches to help you create just about any type of project.
- You can easily start with one stitch or pull up the alphabetical list to easily locate another for your project. Once you’ve chosen the appropriate stitch number, you can choose from 7 stitch functions.
- The beginning icon will let you know which stitch has been selected, and the number of the icon corresponds to the stitch number.
- The icon to the left lets you know what type of stitch width or length your machine is set for. You can choose from 0, 3 and 8mm stitch widths, and 0.5 to 5 mm stitch lengths with this sewing machine.
- The icon in the center tells you if your machine is set for plain, zig-zag, or decorative stitches.
- Above 200 built-in stitches
- Light weight
- Easy to use
- Durable and compatible construction
- Not an Heavy Duty Product
8. Brother HC1850 Sewing and Quilting Machine
Meet the Brother HC1850 Costume Sewing and Quilting Machine, a sewing machine that does it all! With 185 built-in stitches, an LCD display, 8 included feet and 15 different presser feet on board, there are over 800 stitch variations available. This ensures that your projects will turn out beautifully on any material. Power comes from a reliable Japanese motor with 440 stitches per minute for larger projects.
- Starting with your fabrics, you have a fully automatic bobbin winding system. This helps eliminate those overly tangled threads from the start, so you can focus on making beautiful stitches.
- The Brother HC1850 sewing and quilting machine comes with a convenient stitch selector button for selecting the right stitch, whether it’s a decorative stitch or a more robust one.
- Easy-to-follow guides are available on the LCD screen to help beginners through each step of the process.
- The Brother HC1850 sewing and quilting machine comes with 3 bobbins. You can easily put in up to 8 different bobbin colors for maximum versatility.
- All of the included feet are installed onto the machine in an easy pull-out design, so you can use your own feet or purchase additional feet separately in different styles or sizes.
- Light weight
- Extended table
- LCD display
- Metallic Construction
- Price is above 200$
9. SINGER | Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
Singer’s 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine is a very durable and reliable sewing machine that will help you create all your favorite Costume stitches. This machine allows for quick and easy threading, as well as reverse thread capabilities. It also has a maximum sewing speed up to 450 spm, many features including a 9mm free arm, three-step buttonhole mechanism, and a drop feed throat system to make this an affordable option for those who want the best of the best in terms of durability and performance.
The SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine also has a maximum stitching speed of 450 spm with a stitch length of 7 mm and a reverse mode. The stitch width is easy to change with a simple lever for adjusting stitches from 1mm up to 9mm wide! Just turn the dial on the front face of the machine from one number to another in order to choose your desired stitch width.
When you select this machine, you will receive a computerized machine with the following features:
- Serger functions to create custom hems for skirts, pants, dresses and any other garments you sew.
- A 4 mm free arm is capable of creating 1/16″ wide zigzag hems for creating darts or trimming sleeve caps or creating even precise shaped hemlines. This would be helpful in the case that your sewing pattern might call for four-in-hand stitching.
- Open door on front of the machine that allows you to add accessories such as knee lifter or storage compartment
- Drop feed that allows your fabric to move freely when sewing, which is ideal for quilting and sewing stretch fabrics.
- Heavy Duty
- Multiple usage
- Metal Interior
- Price is a bit high but Worth it
10. Juki HZL-F600 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine:
The Juki HZL-F600 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine is the newest in the company’s line of computerized sewing machines. It features an LED touch screen, 1024 stitches per minute, 66 built-in stitch functions, and quilting functions.
This machine is easy to use and has a large LED screen that makes it easy to see the pattern you’re working with. The Juki HZL-F600 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine comes equipped with a manual threading system, as well as a thread cutter, to make the basic sewing functions easier.
- This sewing and quilting machine can stitch through 22 layers of cotton or 12 layers of denim. It has a function for sewing cuffs, pleats, and gathers as well as a buttonhole stitch for professional buttonholes.
- It also has an extra-high presser foot lift for free motion quilting.
- The Juki HZL-F600 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine is lightweight, weighing just 15 pounds.
- It has a 150-point feed dog that helps it sew neat stitches, even when sewing at high speeds.
- This sewing machine uses Top Loading Bobbins, which are much easier to change out than the Front Loading Bobbins used on most other sewing machines.
- The Juki HZL-F600 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine comes with a DVD instructional video, as well as a limited three-year warranty.
- Metal body
- Durable and compatible
- Can sew hard fabrics
- Multiple sewing stitches options
- Heavy weight
So you want to know which sewing machines are the best for your homemade costume? Look no further! Here we’ve put together a list of some of the best sewing machines on the market, as well as what features they offer. With this information, you’ll be able to find a machine that will meet all your needs and more!
What type of sewing machine do you need? There are many different types of sewing machines, each with their own unique features. Heavy-duty Sewing Machines – These are designed to handle tough materials, such as vinyl or leather. Home-school Sewing Machines – Home schooling children today need to learn how to sew for all their projects, this is an ideal type of machine for your child to use while learning how to sew at school. you can easily complete costume with the above recommendations.
How to Service a Sewing Machine (Updated 2023)
Can You Sew Leather with a Regular Sewing Machine? (Updated 2023)
Top 9 Best Sewing Machine for Alphabet Embroidery in 2023
Top 10 Best Sewing Machine for Cloth Diapers in 2023
Top 10 Best Sewing Machine for Costume Making in 2023
Top 10 Best Sewing Machine for Fleece in 2023
Leave a Reply